Monday 11 February 2013

Serpentine Bar & Kitchen, Hyde Park

Serpentine Bar and Kitchen

What numbnut had the bright idea of putting an Xcelator-style hand dryer into The Serpentine Bar and Kitchen baby change toilet? The startling ear-splitting noise is enough to put the heebie-jeebies up a grown-up let alone a baby. Maybe they thought scaring the shit out of babies would be helpful under the circumstances...

To be fair, it's not like TSK is the only one. These fancy dryers are dotted all around London. I've taken to wiping my hands on my trousers. Amongst the stains of vomit and poop, it hardly matter if people think I've wet myself as well.

But SB&K has other things going for it that make up for the dryer...

Like any place which serves good food (and this one does) in a good location (the south end of the Serpentine lake), it gets horrifically busy. So really, I can only recommend going outside of traditional meals times, preferably on a winter's weekday. But if you get there when it's emptyish, it has a very friendly vibe and is popular with buggy-pushers stopping off during a walk in Hyde Park. There's a number of tables with room enough for a pram alongside and you'll have no problem with elbow room if you're feeding. Plus, if you're feeling really self-conscious about your crying baby or breastfeeding you can sit outside on one of the numerous tables as I did with my first visit with Cosmo....

No comments:

Post a Comment